Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Rose: 'I bet on my team every night'

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Inactive Member NotSoSilentBob's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 2nd, 2002
    Posts
    8,067
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Rose: 'I bet on my team every night'

    Rose: 'I bet on my team every night'

    March 14, 2007

    NEW YORK (AP) -- Pete Rose bet on the Cincinnati Reds "every night" when he managed them and, despite his lifetime ban because of gambling, would like another chance in a major league dugout.

    "I bet on my team every night. I didn't bet on my team four nights a week," Rose said Wednesday on "The Dan Patrick Show" on ESPN Radio.

    "I bet on my team to win every night because I love my team, I believe in my team," he said. "I did everything in my power every night to win that game."

    In a wide-ranging interview, the banned Rose said he thinks he should be reinstated because "I believe I'm the best ambassador baseball has." He hopes a new exhibit in Cincinnati is a sign baseball will soften its stance toward him.

    If reinstated, the 65-year-old Rose said he would like to again manage in the majors.

    The career hits leader also said he supported Barry Bonds and Mark McGwire, who fell far short in his first time on the Hall of Fame ballot.

    "Don't penalize McGwire because you think other guys are taking steroids," Rose said.

    Rose finished his career in 1986 with 4,256 lifetime hits. He was managing the Reds in 1989 when he agreed to a lifetime ban after an investigation of his gambling.

    The new Rose exhibit at Great American Ball Park includes more than 300 items and will be up for nearly a year. Major League Baseball had to give permission for the display.

    "When you're in my position, you're happy with anything," Rose said.

    Rose, however, said he would not be thrilled if a future reinstatement did not also include him becoming eligible for the Hall of Fame. Making it into Cooperstown, he added, was no longer on his mind.

    "I quit worrying about it," he said.

    [IMG]http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l53/blpjr77/culpeper1.jpg[/IMG]

  2. #2
    Inactive Member imported_Coach's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 13th, 2006
    Posts
    1,245
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Rose: 'I bet on my team every night'

    i heard the interview today. there's no way he ever gets reinstated. after the 1919 white sox, that's rule #1 in baseball. don't bet on it if your a player or manager.
    [img]http://www.usersigs.com/site/./data/media/14/581140986869_2.png[/img]

  3. #3
    Inactive Member UTVols2's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 17th, 2006
    Posts
    5,601
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Rose: 'I bet on my team every night'

    First off he said he didn't bet on baseball,

    then he admitted to betting on baseball but not on the Reds,

    Now he says he bet on the Reds everynight.

    Whats next? I think if he would have come clean 10 or 15 years ago and said I bet on baseball and the Reds things might have smoothed over a little bit by now, still don't think they would let him back in, but they may have let him the HOF. But when you come out with a new lie every five years he keeps digging a deeper and deeper hole.

    He will NEVER, EVER be let back in baseball and will never be admitted into the HOF, although I think he should be in the HOF, but not allowed to Coach again. He was one helluva player.
    [IMG]http://www.gifsoup.com/view/926256/tennessee-vols-al-wilson-o.gif[/IMG]

  4. #4
    Inactive Member imported_Coach's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 13th, 2006
    Posts
    1,245
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Rose: 'I bet on my team every night'

    actually pete rose is in the HOF. just his name is listed on the all time hits leader board in cooperstown. if you guys ever get the opportunity to go there, go.
    [img]http://www.usersigs.com/site/./data/media/14/581140986869_2.png[/img]

  5. #5
    Inactive Member UTVols2's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 17th, 2006
    Posts
    5,601
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Rose: 'I bet on my team every night'

    I would love to go, that would awesome.
    [IMG]http://www.gifsoup.com/view/926256/tennessee-vols-al-wilson-o.gif[/IMG]

  6. #6
    Inactive Member imported_Coach's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 13th, 2006
    Posts
    1,245
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Rose: 'I bet on my team every night'

    cooperstown is by far, without a doubt, better than canton.
    [img]http://www.usersigs.com/site/./data/media/14/581140986869_2.png[/img]

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •